What Should I Do If My Power Goes Out?

Ask your neighbors if they have power? If so, check your electrical meter to see if numbers appear in the digital display. If this area is blank, call the cooperative to report an outage. These digital numbers are only displayed when the proper voltage is available at your service. If you have power at the meter but not in your home, check the breakers. A tripped breaker or blown fuse is often the cause of a full or partial loss of power.

Find your main breaker panel. It may be in the garage, basement, closet,  or even mounted on the exterior of your home. Check the breaker or fuses to see if they have blown or tripped. Resetting a breaker or replacing a fuse may restore your electricity.

If that does not work, check the breaker located under your electric meter. Do not touch the meter or use any tools; the breaker should be easily accessible by hand. Never go near a downed power line and don’t stand in water while touching electrical equipment!

Open the panel directly below the meter. Reset the main breaker by turning the switch off and on two times. Leave the switch in the on position. Return to the breaker panel inside your home and make sure all breakers are in the “on” position.

If power can not be restored, report your outage by calling (800) 245-7322. The line is staffed 24 hours a day by RECC employees or representatives of our answering service. A lineman will be dispatched to your location as quickly as possible.

Notice: A trip charge will apply if line crews are dispatched and find that a tripped main or meter pole breaker was the only cause of your outage. If the meter pole breaker is bad and needs to be replaced, the member will only be charged for the price of the breaker.