RECC has teamed up with the Illinois Municipal Electric Agency (our wholesale electricity provider) and the Appliance Recycling Centers of America (ARCA), Inc. to offer the Illinois Recycle My Fridge program. The goal of the program is to make it easy for people to save both money and the environment. By recycling a secondary refrigerator, customers can save as much as $100 a year. Plus, you’ll get a $50 gift card for participating in the program!
Residents of owner-occupied homes served by the RECC can schedule an appointment to have their refrigerator or freezer picked up from inside their homes, free of charge, by calling 877-341-2313 (toll free) or visiting the program’s Web site (www.RecycleMyFridge.org). The unit is then properly recycled and, in return, each participant can cash in on the cool savings. On pick up day, there is no need to haul the appliances to the curb. ARCA will come collect each fridge or freezer from inside your home, as long as it is a qualifying appliance, plugged in and cooling, with a clear pathway available. The appliance will then be taken to ARCA’s local recycling center to be responsibly dismantled and recycled. Within four weeks after the collection of your appliance, you will receive a $50 pre-paid card. You’ll get big results with very little effort.
Here’s how to participate:
- You must be an RECC residential electric customer and own and occupy the home from which the refrigerator freezer will be harvested.
- You must own the refrigerator or freezer, which must be 10 to 30 cubic feet (a residential sized appliance) and be in working (cooling) condition.
- The appliance must be plugged in the night prior to pickup.
- Your appliances will be picked up, at no charge, from the address listed on your billing account.
- You will receive a $50 prepaid card in the mail within four weeks after collection of the appliance. Limit of two appliances per household per year.
- Only secondary appliances are eligible.
Call 877-341-2313 or visit www.RecycleMyFridge.org to learn more.